Punda Malidadi

Thursday, January 27, 2005

This will be a long post, and none of it will be about my writing teacher

1.Prediction

OK, so I have been thinking about past and present relationships, and in an effort to prove that everything in life can be reduced to logic and mathematical progressions, I have examined differences and similarities, and thus come up with a prediction about the guy I will be dating next(Is it cynical to think about this at this point? Meh. Also, it was just a really long and boring walk home from the LRT station)

So, this will happen in late August of 2007, after a year of singledom:

  • caucasian
  • born on Feb 2nd, 1980
  • blond
  • Canadian or German
  • parents are working class
  • 6 foot or taller
  • hazel eyes
  • last name has five letters and means something tangible
  • first name is rather conventional
  • he will be a virgin
  • good god, he will be a 27 year old virgin. I am not sure I like where this is going. I am going to revisit my rationale for that birth year...
  • Actually, 1982 and 1984 are just as likely. Phew.

2. Ego-boosting moment of the day:

My soc prof admitted that my definition of a concept was much better than the one he had.

3.Ego-bashing moment of the day:

My friend Babil called me a slave driver after seeing me tutor. Are "slave driver" and "awesome teacher" mutually exclusive?

4. Fun moment of the week:

Gordon Lee and a Freudian slip.

"Now, I am going to make your wife a lot harder."

I laughed so hard. Unfortunately, I was the only one who found it hilarious. Oh, what do I care. Somebody had to laugh for all the rest of the 75 people. Really loudly.

5. I revised my men-I-would-marry-even-though-I-don't-believe-in-marriage list

Nowadays, Jeffrey Sachs is where it's at(watch the whole video. If you only have a bit of time, watch the latter half- question period. That's where you will see his idealism and his passion.)

What is it about idealistic, passionate speakers and bagpipes that makes me want to cry? And marry them? Alright, I'll admit, the analogy breaks down at this point.

6. My first ever Gateway Opinion section meeting.

I introduced myself like this: "Hi, I am Catrin, my major is international development; I am also an SU councilor, and Dave, you got that number for the price of the health plan in today's opinion piece wrong. By about thirty percent."

I can tell, he likes me already.


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[7:36 AM, January 28, 2005]
Which analogy are you referring to?
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[8:10 AM, January 28, 2005]
Bagpipes~idealistic speakers.
Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[4:03 PM, January 28, 2005]
no, "slave driver" and "awesome teacher" are not mutually exclusive. i am speaking from experience too. it all depends in what kind of slavedriver you are. if you reinforce it positively, and encourage the student to work hard because you have expectations for them and you know that they are capable of meeting your expectations, they are more likely to respect you and want to work hard to please you. of course, there are also other factors involved, but no, i do not think the 2 terms are mutually exclusive.
Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[4:05 PM, January 28, 2005]
well, crap, that above comment was Me.
~Janet
Blogger Scott wrote:
[6:35 PM, January 28, 2005]
* caucasian
Check
* born on Feb 2nd, 1980
Sept 20, 1985
* blond
Shortly, before it was dyed pink. Other than that, dark brown or shitty black or something. I think the brown one.
* Canadian or German
Canadian
* parents are working class
Err, sorta, I guess
* 6 foot or taller
6 feet
* hazel eyes
Blue, I think
* last name has five letters and means something tangible
Nicol -> Nickle
* first name is rather conventional
Scott
* he will be a virgin
Damn, but I can't lie
* good god, he will be a 27 year old virgin. I am not sure I like where this is going. I am going to revisit my rationale for that birth year...
* Actually, 1982 and 1984 are just as likely. Phew.
1985?


I am intrigued. Only minor details prevent me from fitting your formula.

Alternatively, wasn't Roman born around 1980?
Blogger Heather wrote:
[11:15 PM, January 28, 2005]
Roman does not have blonde hair...and I won't even go into the whole last name bit...
but the virgin part sounds about right...

And what are you thinking? A virgin? Well at least you get to teach him everything from scratch...

Good luck...oh and I will try to swing by Scholar's on my way home from the game for a birthday bevvy.
Blogger Heather wrote:
[11:17 PM, January 28, 2005]
Oh...and Dr. Sachs is my favorite!! One day I want to meet that man. You know when people ask you, "if you could have dinner with 5 people who would you pick?"
I always pick him and people are always wondering, who the hell is he?
They always expect you to say Oprah...
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[9:43 AM, January 29, 2005]
1. I think experience is overrated. All that does is make them *think* they know what they're doing...
2. You're coming tonight? Awesome!
3. 5 people to have dinner with: Stephen Lewis, Jeffrey Sachs, Dan Savage, George W.Bush, and the Pope. I believe that would be a dynamic conversation.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger