Punda Malidadi

Monday, January 17, 2005

You can say what you want....

...about my writing teacher's rather unorthodox personality, but he sure inspires me to write. Let's hope he never stumbles across this blog before, say, April 20th.

Today, he started class with a 2 minute silent whiteboard marker drum solo, face scrunched up with cool concentration, flips and all. The classroom was silent. Then, a minute or so in, somebody dared to venture and ask him about our inksheddings. He continued his drumsolo unabashedly, and replied without breaking his concentration:

"Haven't read them yet."

(particularly complicated flip of one of the markers/drumsticks)

"Know where they are though."

(proud smile on his face)



Apart from that, he once more pointed out that I was the only one who hasn't gotten her essay back yet.

"You've got all your essays now. Except for Catrin. She handed hers in late, you know, so I decided to write a short story instead of marking it. I got almost 4 pages done on the weekend. I won't tell you the idea though. It's really good, and you'll only steal it."

Silence.

"Alright. I'll tell you. So, there are these two academics, and they go to this conference in Halifax, where they meet a confused old man who kind of looks like Walter Gretzky. They treat him nicely, and explain Faulkner to him. A few weeks later, they each receive a cheque for half a million dollars in the mail from Wayne Gretzky, because you see, it turns out it was Walter Gretzky after all."

Silence.



Uhm, yeah.

Oh, and a little proof for how incredibly unobservant I am: One of the girls in my class is probably about 8 months pregnant. I noticed today. I have had class with her since September.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[6:59 PM, January 17, 2005]
Who is your professor, what class is it, and would you recommend it to someone that has very scarce (i.e. valuable) options?
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[12:24 PM, January 18, 2005]
The class is WRITE 298- Introduction to writing Nonfiction, and the teacher's name is Michael Lahey. As for the recommendation: go to

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=61757

All I can add is that he is extremely amusing. To me, anyways.
Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[5:58 PM, January 18, 2005]
hey it's Bryn! I'm sorry i'm not going to SC because american idol is on tonite
*HUGS!*

BRYN
Blogger Kyle wrote:
[4:22 PM, January 19, 2005]
That sounds remarkably similar to an urban legend surrounding Howard Hughes (the Prof's short story I meann).

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger