Punda Malidadi

Monday, December 27, 2004

Westernhagen

Oh, Westernhagen. When I was 10, I had a huge crush on Elvis Presley. Then, my parents told me that he was dead. Well, what else could I do? I moved on. To this guy, Marius Mueller-Westernhagen, or, as he calls himself for his albums, Westernhagen. It was an odd choice for a 12-year old in 1993, the age of Eurotrash and boy groups, but I madly fell in love with the singer-songwriter that had been making music since the late sixties and was born the same year as my father. Naturally, I set myself up for being made fun of for my taste in music all through High School, but my devotion was unquavering.
I still know every single one of his songs by heart- especially the old stuff. He sells out the hugest arenas there are in Germany, and hasn't been on tour since 1999. And there I am, going on his website today, and it turns out he decided to go on tour at the end of 2005. Already he's had to double the number of his concerts.
Now, you have to understand that I can't be in Edmonton for that fall semester. I'm taking it off to swoon at a then 57-year old. For the sake of the good old times, when I would forget to breathe when he came on TV.


Country of the Day: Republic of India (federal republic)

capital: New Delhi

chief of state: President Abdul KALAM

head of government: Prime Minister Manmohan SINGH

GDP(in PPP $US): 2,900

issues: dispute over Kashmir with Pakistan; affected by the Tsunamis




1 Comments:

Blogger Catrin wrote:
[9:56 PM, December 27, 2004]
Turns out, no, unquavering is not a word. At least dictionary.com and my roommate's tattered old Webster's don't think so. Any suggestions to improve the wording there? 'Steady' sounds way too...boring.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger