Punda Malidadi

Saturday, December 18, 2004

What the...?

So, I got my Women's studies paper back. It says:

"Catrin, I have stopped correcting your grammar at this point, but I hope you realize that you need to do something about your writing."

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME.

Granted, I didn't proofread it, but she knows I wrote this in a rush.

Fact is, I *solely* rely on my grammar and style when it comes to papers. I have handed in papers without a thesis statement that I've gotten an A- on(Pol S 200: "A great paper with intelligent writing. If only you'd have had a thesis.")
My writing teacher asked me to tutor people in writing. I am willing to bet that I know more about grammar than 95% of all native English speakers.

I write a content-free paper, without a cover page or even my name on it(she scribbled it on with a ballpoint pen when I handed it in), and what does she criticize?

My grammar. MY Grammar. My grammar. My GRAMMAR!

My pride is in shreds.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[3:03 PM, December 22, 2004]
I will support you in your assertion that your grammar is significantly better than 95% of native English speakers on this continent.

I have still never had any formal education in grammar, beyond the differences between "nouns", "verbs", and "adjectives" (taught in grade school), and where to put commas (taught in university). I haven't even had "adverb" taught to me in a class.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger