Punda Malidadi

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Essay # 4

WRITE 298
Creative Non-Fiction

Dr. Michael Lahey
Advisor: Sean Penn

Spring Session
MWF 9:00-9:50 AM

Forecast: Stormy


I kid you not- this was the header of my fourth essay assignment. It is: PLACE.

I think I might write about this bar I used to go to- an extremely tight-knit, incestuous community, kind of like the SU, just with more drinking.

He also went off on a rant about people calling themselves "pre-med".

"There is no such thing at this university. You- what do you want to be- a professor maybe?"

(points at random student)

"Uh. Yeah, sure, whatever. Why not."

"So, next time someone asks you what you are studying, say: pre-prof."

Then, he makes us do another inkshedding.


The instructions:

"Well, I guess they blew up the chicken man in Philly last night."

A photograph.

A historical reference.

The colour red.


While we were all busy thinking up a dumb story revolving around the first line of a Bruce Springsteen song, he keeps muttering.

"I'm pre-cynical."

(does a little dance)

"I'm pre-institutionalized."

(smiles proudly)


Then, he gives me back my essay. I got a B. A B!

OUCH.

(somebody stroke my ego. Quick.)

"Catrin, I referred to you again last class. Melissa brought in lyrics from a Corey HArt song to analyze, and they were political. Like you. I told Melissa to stay home more often. Not because she is 9 months pregnant, but on account of her musical tastes."


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[8:28 PM, January 25, 2005]
You should get one of those new-fangled digital recording devices, or steal the SU's, and record everything this man says, and post it on your blog. (Or just write it all out.)

For great justice. And humour.
Blogger me wrote:
[8:58 PM, January 25, 2005]
:) I love the stories about your classes...On the subject of pre-professional programs just for interest sakes, there is actually a Pre-Vet program and you get a diploma in it I believe once your finished the 2 years. So when I was in that program I did have a right to say I was in pre-vet since it was the actual Program I enrolled in when I entered University.

Leah
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[9:18 PM, January 25, 2005]
Anonymous commenting!

"Whoooo...are you...who-who, who-who..?"
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[7:44 AM, January 26, 2005]
No, you probably hate *me*, and that's fine. But remember, it's all relative: The point is not that it is a B, the point is that it is two increments lower than what I usually get. So if you want to consider it from a B-average, it's like getting a C+.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger