Punda Malidadi

Monday, May 23, 2005

Is It Just Me?

I am suffering from an extreme case of University Fatigue right now. Part of it might stem from the fact that by the end of this summer I will have been taking a full course load straight for 24 months, but I don't think it's that easy. Quite frankly, most arts classes suck. There, I said it.

First of all, expectations are at the same time too low, too high, and undefined. Too low, because people pass these classes, sometimes in the A or high B range, without being able to put their finger on anything they have learned. Other people fail the same classes, without being able to put a finger on why. Being somewhat of a snob myself, I wouldn't usually defend the majority of people by way of pointing out that the sheer number of them makes them right, but I think the sheer number of people who don't really know what they are doing makes it clear that something is very wrong. As for the reasons why expectations are too high: Readings. I think I have been reluctant to say it so far, but I find it impossible to do all my readings. I just can't read 4 scientific 50 page essays on things that I have heard of many times before with only slightly different nuances and that require some substantial amount of digesting and reflecting daily. Sure, I could whip through them, which I suspect many students do, but I don't see the point of that. I just think professors at this university are neglecting their duty to teach. I am supposed to read all these essays, digest them, form an opinion, and when I come to class, my prof either lectures on a summary of historical data without any analysis or asks us to discuss certain certain aspects of the readings, so that everybody can spout a few long words. I think professors have very little idea of what they want to convey, and drown students in information.

I am asking this in earnest here: Is it just me? Is this what university is supposed to be like? Am I just asking for too much guidance?

I honestly feel like I am getting dumber every day(and sure, go ahead and make some stupid comments about that). I have loved school and university and learning ever since I can remember, but it is quickly draining out of me at this point.

2 Comments:

Blogger Konrad wrote:
[9:06 AM, May 24, 2005]
Fahr in Urlaub oder vielleicht noch besser, betrink dich. Buhrufe in der Vorlesung, Papierflieger basteln kann auch helfen. Gruesse aus der Toskana.
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[3:45 PM, May 24, 2005]
And there I go all my life thinking that the person with the job is the one that gets paid, not the other way around. Huh. Must be my bad.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger