Punda Malidadi

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Take That for Nurture

So, I happen to be walking down 112st towards the University yesterday, rather briskly, on my way to class. There, in front of me, was a thirty-something guy with a little boy, a toddler, who I assume was his son. The man keeps saying: "Come on, come on, a little faster, you can do it, give it your all", and while he himself only takes a few large strides, the 3-year old struggles violently to keep up with his Dad by doing everything short of breaking into a run. Again, the Dad says: "A bit faster now, keep it up now", and the little boy struggles a little harder. I was already thinking something to the extent of "slave driver" in my head at that point, but the best is yet to come. When I finally pass them in a rather energetic stride myself to get to class on time, the father says:

"Now look at that! You're not going to let a girl pass you by, now are you?"

[Appalled silence, I hope, on my and on your part. And here's my suggested answer for the little boy:

"Well, you know what, Daddy, if the girl is a 24 year-old woman whose legs are, while admittedly being on the short to average side for adult women, still longer than my entire body height, I just might. Besides, I think high-achieving women are hot and I will never be threatened by my girlfriend potentially being better at something than I am."

Oh, please, let him at least have thought something to the extent, or else all is lost.]

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[9:24 PM, May 17, 2005]
I would've cooked dinner for you for a week if you'd stopped to tell the boy to say that.
Blogger "Steve Smith" wrote:
[11:45 PM, May 17, 2005]
"I will never be threatened by my girlfriend potentially being better at something than I am."

Geez, I don't know. I'd have a really hard time dealing with a girlfriend potentially being better at something than I am.
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[11:55 PM, May 17, 2005]
Your comment leads me to conclude that you also have a very hard time coming to grips with a concept commonly known as "reality".
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[9:40 AM, May 18, 2005]
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[9:40 AM, May 18, 2005]
uh...danke? Ich bin mir aber nicht sicher ob das ein Kompliment ist...
Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[10:43 AM, May 24, 2005]
Catrin - how is that a compliment? if it is, it's a backhanded one
-Shannon (who still understands, but can't write anymore)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger