Punda Malidadi

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Best. Job. Ever.

Yes, you should once again be jealous of the neverending joy that is my life. Why? Because I am currently working at the International Centre's airport welcome booth, where I get to welcome international students and help them out with immediate issues such as accommodation for the first few nights and how to take the sky shuttle, as well as with any questions they might have. Today was my second day. On my first day, I helped *four* international students in 7 hours. Today, I helped *two* international students, also in 7 hours. They both came at the same time and had identical problems. It was a pleasure to help them, and very interesting to meet people from Ghana, Iran, Egypt, Korea, China and India. For the rest of the time, I sat on a comfortable cushioned chair, drank coffee, ate my snacks, and read. I am already through with one of my readings for fall, and I am starting the second one tomorrow. Finally, a job where I can read for hours without being interrupted(well, other than the occasional "Do you know where the washroom is?")! And the best thing is that I can do it on a clean conscience, as there is absolutely *nothing* else I could do. I am so enjoying this that I am considering a career as a nightwatchperson. Sleep all day, read all night- why, it's like utopia!

When I close the booth for the night at 9pm, I leave out a sign saying "Welcome International Students!", a sign-in sheet and welcome letters with information on temporary accommodation and other essentials. When I came back this morning, a Canadian student had signed the sheet, and indicated "Quebec" as his home country. Now I'm left to wonder if he was just confused or whether that was a political act.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[5:02 PM, August 24, 2005]
Can I plant some orange raspberries in your garden? We're selling the place in Barrhead, which means that if I don't get some raspberries out here, they're gone...
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[11:15 AM, August 25, 2005]
Plant anything you want in my garden. Just be sure to give me detailed care instructions. And don't expect me to not eat all of them immediately when they mature.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger