Punda Malidadi

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

How it came to be that my academic career hit rock bottom.

In the first days of class, my prof seemed alright. He had a very heavy eastindian accent that would distort the emphasis of many words; for example,"purchasing" would become purr-*chay*-zing, and "determining" would become "dee-ter--*my*-ning". That didn't really bother me at all though- having English as a second language myself, I am fairly inventive when it comes to deducing how somebody would develop false hypotheses about the unpredictable pronunciation of the English language, and therefore I could derive the meaning of what he was trying to communicate easily enough. Maybe it was the fact that I thought about lingusitics too much during class, or maybe I have suddenly gotten a whole lot dumber(one of my biggest secret fears), but for some reason I got back a 25% assignment with an abysmal 56%. Just for comparison,here's what I got in my other Economics classes: 9, A, A, A. It's by far my best subject, I like it the most, and it always came easily to me.

And it wasn't that everybody else did badly either- the average was a respectable 74%, with a majority of people above average. And to think that after a few classes, he effectively banned me from raising my hand, because I was the only one answering his questions!

Over the last few weeks, slowly but surely, the understanding of the material evaded me. He never gave definitions, used the same variables for real and nominal values, and didn't tie together what he explained. I never had any idea why we were doing what we were doing, but apparently, everybody else just chewed their way through the book(which I didn't really like either) to understand things. I read the assigned chapters in the book, but as he said, "reading the book only once won't do". Well, Mr. C*******y, it damn well should. At least I should understand the concept after your lecture and reading the relevant chapter. Especially in a summer term, which is effectively five weeks long.



To cut a long story short: I ran to the faculty of arts undergraduate desk and withdrew from the stupid course.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[5:11 PM, July 29, 2005]
Does projection make you feel better about your failures?
Anonymous Anonymous wrote:
[9:59 PM, August 16, 2005]
I guess you're just not as smart as you think you are.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger