Punda Malidadi

Monday, June 13, 2005

News From My Writing Teacher

So I ran into him in HUB mall today after running to hand in my paper on time, and generally having had a really crappy day that will turn into a crappy week. I mean, am I ever partying this Friday when all that silly paper writing and stuff is over! But I digress.

The following conversation ensued:

M.L(cheerfully): "Hey, Catrin, how are you? Enjoying your summer?"

C.B(wearily): "Yeah, kind of. I'm taking full time classes."

M.L.(half inquisitively, half jokingly): "So did you enjoy WRITE 298, or was it a pain to get through?"

C.B.(truthfully): "Yes, I enjoyed it. All of my other classes were more of a pain to get through than this one."

M.L.(condescendingly): "I mean, you did just fine, right? A B or something?"

C.B. (coldly): "It was a B+, and one of the worst grades of my University career."

M.L.(consolingly): "It's really hard to get a good mark in non-fiction writing. I handed in 50 grades this term and only one A-. Everything else was worse."

C.B. (sceptically): "Ok."

M.L.(small talkingly): "So, are you still doing some writing?"

C.B.(seeing her chance at revenge): "Actually, I did quite a bit of blogging about you during class. People loved it."

M.L.(raising eyebrows): "Oh, really? What kind of stuff did you write?"

C.B. (smiling): "Oh, mostly funny stuff, that is mainly the truth about what classes were like."

M.L. (looking to a side): "Oh. Anything else?"

C.B. (shrugging her shoulders): "I guess I'm taking playwriting and screenwriting next year, because there is only one section of WRITE 398."

M.L.: "Yes, I had actually asked the department to offer another section and I offered to teach it too, but they wouldn't."

C.B.: " Yeah, and I don't think I would like the teacher from what I've heard about her."

M.L.(with glee): "I didn't even realize she was back. She used to be on disability leave because she couldn't manage to teach any more."

Pause.

M.L.(adding, with disgust): "Her classes are kind of like art projects, with lots of emotional sharing."

C.B. (shakes head disapprovingly): "Yeah, so I've heard. That is why I'm not enrolled in that class. I read it on ratemyprof.com. Have you ever been to the site? "

M.L.(shrugs): "No, I've heard about it, but I've been told it's a waste of time since it isn't moderated at all and anybody can post about anyone."

C.B. (encouragingly):"You really should go there- I've found it quite insightful at times. Also, there's lots of stuff about you..."

M.L.: "I should start a site up for you and then pose as all of your former professors. I even know what I'll write: 'Calls drunk at 1 am from the bar to get extensions. I will not put up with behaviour like hers ever again.' "

C.B.(angrily): "Hey, that's not true!"

M.L.(cheerfully, trying to make a point): "But who will know if I make a lot of posts under different pseudonyms?"

C.B.:"I think you're overestimating how much students care. We're busy enough without posting made-up stuff about professors on a site that doesn't lead to any consequences for them."

M.L.(seeing that I won the argument, changing topic): "So, you're doing a B.A. in Political Science?"

C.B.(annoyedly): "No. It's in International Development."

M.L. (thinking: 'same shit, different pile'): "Oh really? Are you planning to go to Grad school?"

C.B.: "Yes, probably something."

M.L. (out of the nothing): "You should go to an Ivy League school. Then you don't need to be good at things, and doors will open for you just because you went there."

C.B.: "I don't think so."

M.L.: "You should think about it. People who go to Ivy schools are recognized just for that alone."

C.B.: "First of all, my GPA isn't as good as it used to be, so I would never get in. Secondly, I dont care about being recognized- it's not one of the goals I have in life."

M.L. "Be selfish. Stop all that volunteer work, and get that GPA. Once you're in, you don't even need to work very hard, you just have to graduate."

C.B.: "I find most of my courses useless and most of the papers I write are a waste of time. I don't think you realize how uninspired teaching is at this university."

M.L.(pleadingly):"But think about it! Then you could be on the Yale Rowing Team."

C.B.(incredulously):"Yeah, I, uh, don't see my life going that way. I'll see you later."

4 Comments:

Blogger Catrin wrote:
[7:31 PM, June 14, 2005]
Yeah, you might be right if what you're suggesting is that it isn't amusing for a wide audience. I've long since concluded that I am part of a very elite sense of humour club. Also, you might have to know my writing teacher to understand.
Blogger "Steve Smith" wrote:
[1:27 AM, June 15, 2005]
Merry Christmas to you too, Roman.
Blogger "Steve Smith" wrote:
[1:19 PM, June 15, 2005]
Do you question the poster every time something "not particularily interesting" is posted?
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[5:39 PM, June 15, 2005]
Can't we just all be friends or something?

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger