Punda Malidadi

Monday, August 29, 2005

About the Sky Shuttle

I've been taking the Sky Shuttle to the airport and back every day for a week now. Here are my observations:

1. Sky Shuttle Drivers really like EZ Rock(Is that how that contemptible station is spelt?). I have had to listen to a show with a first class harpye nutcase woman called Delilah every night on my way home. Except for that one driver tonight who listened to AM radio on a slightly off frequency so that it was all screechy and you could sometimes hear part of a different song from a different station. He had it on really loud. There was a baby in the car. It screamed, of course.

2. That same driver also thought it was a really good idea to occupy two lanes from the airport right up until and including 112th street. I swear it looked like he was concentratedly trying to divide the shuttle equally onto two lanes. Except when he swerved frantically to evade pot holes, of course. I have yet to be on a trip where not at least one of the following happened: screeching brakes, fender bender, honking at other cars, getting honked at.

3. Half of the drivers are the grumpiest &*$% I have ever met. The other half are the friendliest @&%#$ I've ever met. One of them even forced a Snickers on me. Not that it is particularly hard to make me eat chocolate. Well, I did refuse the first time he offered. I think. And one of them asked me a lot of questions about Germany. When a girl in the back got out at a stop before me( I always sit in the front because I get carsick in the back, and because the back doesn't have any headrests and neck injuries are the most common preventable injuries in car accidents, and because that way I don't have to be touching other people's thighs with mine when the bus is full), she said: "That was interesting to listen to. I always thought Germany was a horrible, scary place." She was Canadian. In your face, all you people who have told me that I overreact when I get upset about giving people a completely false picture of Germany when German people are portrayed as evil humourless fascists in just about every funny show or movie because none of these supposedly funny people have ever been to my country so they just decide to base their jokes on World War II which was over when my grandma was too young to understand politics!

The unfriendly half behave so terribly towards the new international students that I want to wear a shirt that says "I'm not Canadian, I'm German". Not that I know for sure that German shuttle drivers would be any nicer. But international students wouldn't know that, would they? Anyways: Way to make a first impression on the international community. Remember, those are the kind of people that Canada will do business with after they graduate. Let's scream at them because they only have a $50 bill, or because they confuse the Campus Tower stop with the Lister Hall stop, or because they do not understand your accent.

You #$%^@&, old, @#$%@, @@$% of a @#%!

@#$@$%!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger