Punda Malidadi

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Nobel Prize 2016

I just realized that I myself am nothing short of a genius. A bit taken aback by the success of Jake, Steve and Dan with their novel-writing endeavours, I reminded myself that I wrote a one-act play last year, and reread it.

Why, it's ingenious! It's funny, and it's sexy, and it's smart. And those aren't even my own words- those are the words of Governor-General Award winning playwright Vern Thiessen, under whose watch I wrote this play. In one of our one-on-one sessions, the following conversation ensued:

Vern(in disbelief): "You know, you really have a great sense of humour hidden under your....(searching for words)
Me: "...teutonic exterior?"
Vern: "Yes, that's it."
Me: "I get that a lot."

My play, in case you were wondering, is about the passage of a controversial bill in city council, and the mayhem that ensues as a result of it. There's sex, there's violence, and there are references to parliamentary procedure- I mean, what else do you want, really?

If this play doesn't get produced, the world is a worse place for it.

2 Comments:

Blogger "Steve Smith" wrote:
[3:48 PM, June 02, 2006]
It also - not to give to much away - features a character based on me. Mr. Thiessen apparently found said character "delightfully unsympathetic".
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[4:05 PM, June 02, 2006]
Well, that story isn't complete until you realize that I meant for him to be sympathetic, and that Vern never once considered the possibility that he could be anything else but unsympathetic. I think he might have said "ass", even.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger