Punda Malidadi

Monday, May 08, 2006

Life To Do-List

As some of you might already know, I'm having something of a third-life crisis. Ever since I've turned 25, I've had this feeling that it's time for some reviewing. You know, the old "where am I coming from, where am I headed?" kind of thing. The bad news is that I still have no idea. I have no idea what I'm going to do "when I grow up". On some days, I want to be an academic, and on others, I think I must be crazy to even consider myself suited to this sort of career. I have a whole lot of debt. I don't know whether I'm going to be living in this country, my home country, or someplace completely different a year or two from now. Pretty much the only thing I've learned from life so far is that you shouldn't get too attached to plans you've made. It's of course possible to make plans and then follow through on them, but I think it's important to stay openminded and flexible lest you miss amazing opportunities which are presenting themselves to you. On the other hand, it's also important no to be too much of a leaf blowing around aimlessly in the wind, because otherwise you'll end up a couch potato.

This is why I think everyone should have a list of things they want to do before they die, and never quite lose sight of them. A list like that can't be completed, ever, by its own nature, because unless you die, you should be adding to this list- otherwise you've given yourself up. And, by God, should I get old, prepare for an extremely high-strung old lady.

Here is mine:

1. Learn how to scuba-dive and then take a scuba-diving trip somewhere nice and warm.

2. Go whitewater rafting.

3. See the pyramids in Egypt.

4. See some of the pyramids in Central America.

5. Go on a several months-long eco-tourism trip across the African continent.

6. Own a tortoise.

7. Get a novel of mine published.

8. Get a play of mine produced.

9. Audition for a movie or a play.

10. Have a child.

11. Own a home with a large garden in the backyard.

12. Learn how to play an instrument-preferably piano.

13. Live in a French-speaking area for an extended period.


As you can see, my list isn't terribly ambitious. Some of the goals are longer term, and some are short term. Some I just have to do, while others are going to be more of a challenge. I'm also sure I've forgotten a whole lot of things, but I'll be sure to edit this post to keep track of things.

Anyone who reads this is hereby tagged to make a similar list. Just do it- it's good for you. It'll keep you accountable to yourself.

4 Comments:

Blogger Catrin wrote:
[2:59 PM, May 10, 2006]
Ralph, sag doch einfach was du meinst. Im moment habe ich den vagen Eindruck dass du mich beleidigst, aber ich koennte mich auch taeuschen.

Also, was jetzt?
Blogger Steph wrote:
[1:00 AM, May 11, 2006]
Aren't the Egyptian pyramids supposed to be closing to the public within the next few years? I want to see them too.
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[1:14 AM, May 11, 2006]
I hadn't heard about that. Well, one more reason to get off my ass and start doing things.
Blogger Anonymotron wrote:
[6:27 PM, May 23, 2006]
Have you considered just skipping the country and leaving your debt behind? I'm not really being serious (in part because I don't believe in running away from obligations), but it is a romantic idea, no?

Pros: No more debt.
Cons: Possible difficulty obtaining credit in new country of residence, difficulty returning to Canada, eternal damnation, etc.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger