Punda Malidadi

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Search for Alberta Exhibitionists

Don't get too excited- the title is only one of the many very confusing ways how people seem to find my blog. Chris Chan has a rather nifty tracker he set up for me and it tells me all kinds of things.

For example, I would like to really stress that people seem to find my blog by searching for "Beautiful beautiful beautiful irresistible", and deemphasize the fact that others do so by searching for "harpy picture".

For some reason, someone from the University of Pennsylvania comes to my blog almost daily. The only connection I can make to the state of Pennsylvania is that my exboyfriend's sister's inlaws live there, and I do find it a bit weird that somebody who doesn't know me would read my blog regularly. I mean, it's really not all that exciting unless you know me and the people I write about. Then, of course, it is magnificent.

As for other news, my history professor voiced this brilliant pearl of wisdom into the eager and blank minds of malleable first-years today:

"So, what do marxist theorists really think, or progressive theorists, or even NDP people for that matter? I mean, you're going to get a good dose of that kind of thinking in the years to come at the university, so I might as well set this straight for you right now. They think that what's at the root of absolutely everything that is wrong in this world is capitalism, and if we did away with capitalism then we would all live happily ever after. Capitalism makes us greedy and want big SUVs, and if we all rode on bicycles like good little environmentalists then the world would be a better place."

Who gave tenure to this man? Or birth, for that matter?

3 Comments:

Blogger "Steve Smith" wrote:
[1:55 AM, September 21, 2005]
I think that it's very easy to argue, objectively, that if we all rode on bicycles like good little environmentalists the world *would* be a better case. I'd actually be really curious to hear your history prof argue the opposite point of view.

That said, of course, I never ride a bike.
Blogger Catrin wrote:
[9:11 AM, September 21, 2005]
Oh, come on. First of all, that totally depends on how you define "better". I also take much more offense in his lack of a grayscale between Marxist theorists, all other progressive views, and NDPlers, and for that matter between everybody driving SUVs and everybody riding a bicycle everywhere.
Blogger "Steve Smith" wrote:
[1:58 PM, September 21, 2005]
I know of very few people who consider more traffic and pollution to be good. As the Onion once put it "overwhelming percentage of Americans favour transit use for others".

And yes, there are plenty of other objectionable elements to what he said - it's just that part that raised my curiosity.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger